Monday, September 26, 2011

Love: Kuidaore

I really love the culture there surrounding the Osakan concept of kuidaore. What it means is to bankrupt or ruin oneself on extravagance in food and drink. For practical purposes, it means that the Japanese play hard. It's not uncommon at all to enjoy happy hour at an izakaya, then go to a restaurant for dinner, and then to go another izakaya for an after dinner drink or two. It’s extravagant, sure, and I’m sure that most Americans would consider it to be very wasteful, but it's fun.  Interestingly, it reminds me that my father is often very much like that. He's always had a fairly firm "you can't take it with you" attitude which led to more than a few extravagant meals over the years. I can't help but there's some connection there... and that my father would have loved Japan if he had gone there 

No comments: