Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hate: Racism

I anticipate encountering a not-insignificant amount of racism in Tokyo over the long haul. I feel that as a guest staying on vacation, my presence is appreciated and almost celebrated, probably because as a foreigner, i'm inherently something of a curiosity. I'm interesting and welcomed specifically because my visit is a limited time affair. It's my understanding that as a resident, the sitation would be quite different. I've heard tales of discrimination when applying for credit cards or opening bank accounts, i've heard of landlords who discard applications immediately upon seeing the applicant's name in katakana. Having spent my whole life at the proverbial top of the racial food chain here in the US as a white male, i assume it's going to be quite a shift when i'm suddenly part of the"out group."

No comments: